BALLET IRELAND presents both traditional full-length classics and new commissioned ballets which resonate with audiences of the 21st century. The originality of Ballet Ireland’s work has attracted a company of highly trained international dancers, who are recognised by audiences and critics for their individual style and razor sharp technique.
Established in 1998 by Gunther Falusy and Anne Maher, each spring and autumn the company performs in large scale theatres in Dublin and provincial venues throughout Ireland. Touring affords the opportunity for our regional audiences to access and enjoy professional ballet and to inspire young and talented students all over Ireland.
In addition to professional performances, we are champions of cultivating future talent. The company’s summer schools, held in theatres throughout the country, provide aspiring young students with week-long workshops. These workshops culminate in onstage performances with dancers from the company. Throughout the year there are additional programmes for primary and secondary school students, both for those with and without formal training. These opportunities create unforgettable experiences for the participants and their families.
The General Manager will be responsible for specific aspects of the day-to-day administration and management of the organisation. The GM will report directly to the Director with whom he /she will work closely. The job will be part-time or full-time subject to the candidate’s suitability. Flexibility would be an asset around busier periods of the company’s schedule. Salary will reflect experience. Initial one year contract with a three month and six month review.
- A minimum of 5 years professional experience in arts administration.
- Excellent communication skills (both written and verbal).
- Strong working relationships and networks in Dublin and across Ireland in the cultural sector and beyond.
- Hands-on financial management experience with a proven track record of managing large budgets and negotiating spends.
- Experience of negotiating, drafting and issuing contracts.
- Proven knowledge in the arts/dance/theatre.
- Outstanding attention to detail plus an ability to see the big picture.
- Strong proofing skills.
- Advanced skills in MS Office Applications, particularly MS Excel, and QuickBooks.
- Provide an administrative and support service for the Director.
- Manage the statutory obligations of the Company (eg. Board business, charitable & legal compliance).
Management & Marketing Duties
- Work in consultation with the Director, Production Manager and Artistic Staff to deliver the company’s programme of events.
- Co-ordinate and be responsible for artist/company travel and all accommodation logistics on tour.
- Seek fundraising and sponsorship opportunities.
- Support all artists working with the company to assist with banking and tax registration.
- Assist the Director, venues and any PR agencies with the marketing of the company’s performances and educational activities. Including the development of marketing strategies, preparation of marketing budgets and their implementation.
- Public Affairs: The General Manager will represent the company at events (these to be determined in dialogue with the Director and Board) and develop strong working relationships with other companies in the industry.
- Prepare projected budgets, in consultation with the Director. This will include, assistance in preparation of grant-in-aid applications, development and implementation of financial management strategies and long-term financial planning.
- Prepare funding applications as required by the Director.
- Act in the best interest of the Company eg. Ensuring competitive rates on credit cards, travel, deposit interest etc.
- Working with the Director and Board of Directors: The General Manager will report to the Director, who in turn is accountable to the Board. With the Director, attendance at Board meetings may be required, on occasion.
Application procedure and recruitment timetable
To apply for the post, please send a full CV and cover letter explaining why this job interests you to:
Anne Maher, Ballet Ireland, Agher, Summerhill, Co. Meath
Deadline for applications: 5pm on Friday February 17th 2017
Interview date: Week of 27th Feb
Start date: March 2017